Who we are
The ride is sponsored by The Petaluma Sunrise Foundation and administered by The Petaluma Sunrise Rotary Club. We also receive support from other community groups and from our wonderful sponsors. We appreciate their support and ask that you choose their products and services whenever possible. The proceeds from the ride go to support those community groups who are helping with the ride and the humanitarian projects of the Petaluma Sunrise Rotary Club.
The Sonoma County Backroad Challenge is an annual fundraising project of the Petaluma Sunrise Foundation. The Petaluma Sunrise Foundation, a 501(c)(3) Charitable Foundation, was established in 2010 by the Rotary Club of Petaluma Sunrise. Your participation in the Backroad Challenge as a rider, sponsor, volunteer or vendor allows us to continue to do great things for the community and internationally.
What are those projects and who are these community groups?
The Petaluma Sunrise Rotary Club supports many humanitarian projects, both local and international, including:
- Our La Jagua school project in the Dominican Republic
- Dictionaries for 3rd graders in Petaluma
- Lend A Hand Program – provides school supplies to teachers in Petaluma
- The Outdoor Living Experience (“OLE”) at Casa Grande High School in Petaluma
- Rotary Exchange Students both in Petaluma and abroad
- The Boys and Girls Club of Southern Sonoma County
- Rotary International Peace Study Projects
- Rotary International Polio Plus Campaign to Eradicate Polio
- Liberty Elementary School
- Petaluma High Jazz Band
- Girls on the Run
- Valley Vista Elementary School
- Penngrove 4H
The community groups that are supporting us and sharing in the benefits of the event are:
“I thought of that while riding my bicycle.” ~ Albert Einstein on the Theory of Relativity