PETALUMA SUNRISE FOUNDATION MISSION STATEMENT:
To raise and manage funds that will enhance the Rotary Club of Petaluma Sunrise’s capabilities to participate in local community and international projects and to provide individual Rotarians and other community members a vehicle to make planned gifts for the long term benefit of the Rotary club and the community at large.
WHY WE SUPPORT ROTARY:
Rotary is a global network of 1.2 million neighbors, friends, leaders, and problem-solvers who voluntarily come together to make positive, long lasting change in communities at home and abroad. While supporting our local community provides obvious benefits, we also believe that by contributing
to projects internationally, we can enhance inter-cultural understanding and promote peace. Every donated dollar goes towards improving the world, both locally & globally.
Projects funded by this event:
- Fifth Tuesday Project: Provided meals to 1,426 people in 451 Petaluma households in our first year of service.
- Lend-a-Hand Project: To date over $15,000 has been provided to fund grant requests for school projects and field trips in Petaluma.
- Dictionary Project: Every third grader in Petaluma receives a childrens’ dictionary. To date, over 10,000 3rd-graders have been recipients.
- Dominican Republic Schools: $50,000 built 4 classrooms and a library at La Jagua School in the Alta Mira Area of the Dominican Republic.
- Dominican Republic:
- Water Sanitation- $3,000 provided clean water, hand washing stations and toilets to a community school.
- Keep Girls In School: Another $5,000 helped to restore sanitary water supply facilities to the community of La Colorada.
The Petaluma Sunrise Foundation,a 501 ( c ) 3 nonprofit organization, was incorporated in the state of California in 2010. The foundation is funded primarily by a fund raiser called the Sonoma County Backroad Challenge in partnership with the Rotary Club of Petaluma Sunrise.
Since 2011 this event has netted close to $200,000. For info on Backroad Challenge www.backroadchallenge.com. The net proceeds of this event over the years has created funds to support the greater Petaluma community and its non-profits.
This includes but is not limited to the following local organizations:
Boys & Girls Clubs, COTS, Petaluma People Services, and Mentor Me Funds have also been used to support local schools plus a community wide dictionary project in collaboration with all local Rotary Clubs that provides a new dictionary to all 3rd graders annually.
Lend a Hand is also a citywide Rotary project that provides mini grants to individual teachers and classrooms for special projects that normally could not be done otherwise. The foundation has also supported the Casa Grande High School called Outdoor Learning Environment Classroom. Over $30,000 has already been spent on this project alone.
Other local projects include Rebuilding Together, free family annual Easter Egg Hunt and food drives for families in need.
Some of these net proceeds have been used internationally as well. Helping build schools, ensure clean water and sanitation projects in the Dominican Republic. Some of these funds are also being using to assist Rotary International with shelters for victims of human trafficking.
The Petaluma Sunrise Foundation’s vision is to continually support the good work of the Rotary Club of Petaluma Sunrise and to build a long term reserve fund that will grow to be large enough to support even larger more impactful projects both locally and internationally.